Announcements:

•Swirly Girl• says:

Welcome to the Lives of Swirly and Speed!


♠Speed♠ says:

*Sigh* Hopefully Swirly will return soon! This blog won't be the same without her, even if it is only for a month...

Thank you to everyone who filled out the survey! :) It is much appreciated!

Followers

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

the start of a beginning

Okay. So I'm a bad blogger. So I'm sneaking on here to type up this post which will, I imagine, recieve a comment of question about my break.

I'm still on my break. I just need to write this down somewhere. Somewhere where I know someone will read it and I won't feel so alone in my thoughts anymore.
*sigh* I do love you guys.
I love to write. I love to write stories, poems, song lyrics, cupcake recipes, even that dull English assignment most of my classmates have been slacking off on. If it involves pen and paper, I'll do it.

And I'll do it happily.

But when it comes to writing down that very first wordsentenceparagraphpage, when it comes to finding a suitable beginning to tie in with the plot, when it comes to even planning what to write and when to do it, well, that is when I stumble. Icannotwritebeginnings. I admit it now with my hands up, with my hand on my heart, with frustrated tears in my eyes

You see, beginnings come painfully slowly to me. I can never find that right combination of words to make up the beginning. I have no clue how to introduce the plot, or the main characters, or even that little old granny who lives at the corner of Second Street. Which is the reason why I

a) tend to start writing somewhere in the middle, then get confused and delete the document
b) take so long to actually write the novel (nope, I have never, ever finished a novel of any shape, size or form)
c) tend to give up after the first page

Oh, I can write. Not nearly as well as I'd like to, but I can.

I was standing in a baby-blue room, with a wide window to the side facing the glistening sea and scudding white clouds, and a tiny wooden frame of a bed tucked neatly in the corner. The glass was slightly propped open, allowing a cool, salty breeze to playfully ruffle my hair and the fringes of my shirt. I had an odd feeling that I was intruding in some way, playing a part in someone else’s life that wasn’t mine to take, but if this was a dream, what control did I have over it? None. But if the room wasn’t a figment of my imagination, then I couldn’t recall how I had gotten here, and why I had been sent here in the first place. The sunlight seemed too soft, too magical to be real, and I felt light, lighter than the air itself; if I raised my arms above my head, would I fly? My head drummed with the endless list of questions I needed to find the answers to.

And yet I can't write beginnings. Unfortunately, I never could. Endings and plots come natural to me, but beginnings are where I draw the line.

Help?

4 interpolation(s):

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just wow. Swirly, you are a very talented writer! As for writing leads, ditto! I have a horrible time. Either they don't sound right, or they don't make any sense.

I also have TONS (literally!) of unfinished writing pieces. I get so frustrated, and I just shut my journal and move on to something else. I feel your pain.

Ever since the beginning of the year in Literacy class, there is this one talented writer. He is very talented, and uses awesome word choice. He is very outgoing, and he shares his writing all the time. I don't like to share in front of people, especially when someone has written something better than me. This probably has happened to you, right?

And how does this all help you? Well, I figured if you heard that someone out there was going through the same writing dramas that you are, it might make you feel a little bette. My advice is to use some "Types of Leads" (its actually a sheet I have in my Literacy binder!!!)
Types of Leads:
~Bold Opinion
~Statistic
~Descriptive Segment
~Figurative Language
~Suspense Builder
~Dialogue
~Amazing Fact


If you use some of these, then it will make your writing so much better! Let me know in email or comment if you want any more advice. I'm always happy to help a friend!!

~Lily

Sally said...

See, I LOVE your writing style, but I totally get what you mean. Often my problem is not the beginning, but how to put the plot into action. I've got hundreds of unfinished work. Sometimes I forgot, more often I'd be writing and hit a block or really hate the way it was going. For example, my NaNoWriMo novel started getting really depressing and REALLY weird and I was like 'Whoa... OK, totally stopping now, I don't like how this is going.' LOL

Brooke said...

Swirly, you aren't alone at all. You know how many times I have started on a book and not finished it? So many I can't count. So, so many. Often I have a great plot, and then think of something better, then think of something better, and you know what happens?

DELETE.

Sigh. We can try though. Let's do this together!

Anonymous said...

I love the way you write! You're so very inspiring :)


About Us =)

My photo
I'm not really sure anymore. I really want to sleep.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
All content copyrighted 2010/2011 by US. Nothing may be copied without permission. Powered by Blogger.
Blog Design by Tabby Cat Designs